Autumnal challenges for dogs

As the season is changing and the beautiful autumn leaves start to appear, it is time to think about the potential hazards this season brings to your dog. Here are a few things to look out for.

Trick or treat?

Halloween is a fun and exciting time for everyone, especially the little ones! But for our furry friends this can be scary and dangerous. The parties and 'Trick or Treating' can lead to a glut of sweets and chocolate. Unfortunately for them, dogs shouldn't have these sweet treats as they are toxic, and we all know dogs will eat anything off the floor! It's well known about the dangers of chocolate to our dogs, but there are also other kinds of sweets that can contain harmful chemicals such as xylitol. So, if your dog is joining in the Spookfest, be sure to keep a close eye and keep the treats safely away. Maybe have some Doggy Treats for them handy!

Acorns and oak leaves

Beautiful as they are, the acorns and oak leaves that start to cover the ground can actually be a danger to your dog. Both are toxic to dogs and if they have too many the results can be fatal. Acorns and oak leaves contain galic and tannic acids which, depending on the dog's weight, can be harmful and lead to kidney disease.


At this time of year, moist conditions and rotting vegetation is perfect for the growth of lots of species of fungus, so make sure your dog does not eat old leaves or those hiding mushrooms. The signs of mushroom poison are excessive drooling, attempting to vomit and difficulty standing. If these symptoms occur, it is recommended to contact your vet.

Seasonal Canine Illness

Seasonal Canine Illness (SCI) is still unknown by many people but it tends to occur between August and November. SCI can affect dogs of any shape, size, sex or breed and can result in them becoming very ill, usually after being walked in a woodland area. The cause remains unknown, but some professionals believe harvest mites may play a role. The signs to look out for are sickness, diarrhoea and lethargy. If you see any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately.


As the temperatures drop the chemical spills of antifreeze increase. This can leak from a car radiator or residue from a spray in the morning. It contains ethylene glycol, which is extremely dangerous to dogs and cats. Antifreeze is very sweet tasting and palatable, so if your dog or cat steps in it and then licks their paws, or may even lick spillages, they are at serious risk of antifreeze poisoning. If you are concerned your dog contact your vet immediately.